Benefits of Recycling
Recycling provides many benefits to our environment. By recycling our materials, we create a healthier planet for ourselves and future generations.
Conserve natural resources: Recycling reduces the need to extract resources such as timber, water, and minerals for new products.
Climate change: According to the most recent EPA data, the recycling and composting of municipal solid waste (MSW or trash) saved over 193 million metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent in 2018.
Energy savings: Recycling conserves energy. For example, recycling just 10 plastic bottles saves enough energy to power a laptop for more than 25 hours. To estimate how much energy you can save by recycling certain products, EPA developed the individual Waste Reduction Model (iWARM).
Waste and pollution reduction: Recycling diverts waste away from landfills and incinerators, which reduces the harmful effects of pollution and emissions.
EPA released significant findings on the economic benefits of the recycling industry with an update to the national Recycling Economic Information (REI) Study in 2020. This study analyzes the numbers of jobs, wages and tax revenues attributed to recycling. The study found that in a single year, recycling and reuse activities in the United States accounted for:
- 681,000 jobs,
- $37.8 billion in wages, and
- $5.5 billion in tax revenues.
This equates to 1.17 jobs per 1,000 tons of materials recycled and $65.23 in wages and $9.42 in tax revenue for every ton of materials recycled. For more information, check out the full report.
Environmental Justice: Across the country, waste management facilities are concentrated in underserved communities, and they can have negative impacts on human health, property values, aesthetic and recreation values, and land productivity. Recycling provides these areas with a healthier and more sustainable alternative.
International: Waste generated in the United States also affects communities in other countries. Recycled materials are exported to some countries that are not able to manage those materials in an environmentally sound manner.
At Junk Queen TX, our mission is rooted in our commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility. We believe in doing our part to reduce waste and minimize our impact on the planet. That’s why we go above and beyond to recycle a wide range of materials, including metal, plastic, cardboard, paper, furniture, and clothing.
Here’s why we do what we do:
- Environmental Preservation: Recycling helps conserve natural resources and reduces the need for raw materials. By recycling metal, plastic, cardboard, paper, and other materials, we can help preserve forests, conserve energy, and protect wildlife habitats.
- Waste Reduction: Every item that we recycle is one less item that ends up in a landfill. By diverting materials from landfills, we can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, minimize pollution, and extend the lifespan of existing landfill sites.
- Community Impact: Our recycling efforts have a positive impact on the communities we serve. By recycling furniture, clothing, and other household items, we can support local charities and organizations, providing resources for those in need and fostering a sense of community.
- Sustainability: Recycling is a key component of building a more sustainable future. By recycling materials like metal, plastic, cardboard, paper, and textiles, we can help create a circular economy where resources are reused and repurposed, rather than discarded after a single use.
- Responsibility: As stewards of the environment, we have a responsibility to future generations to leave the planet in better condition than we found it. By recycling materials and promoting sustainable practices, we can help create a cleaner, healthier world for generations to come.
Overall, our dedication to recycling is driven by a desire to make a positive impact on the environment, reduce waste, and promote sustainability in everything we do. Join us in our mission to create a greener, more sustainable future for all!